Thursday, September 28, 2006

black and white rainbows, colourful shadows..



Smokey Robinson - And I Don't Love You (Dub) (1984, Motown) | LINK TWO
Smokey Robinson - And I Don't Love You (12'' Extended Version) (1984, Motown) | LINK TWO

Not to worry, I am working on the next disco delivery.. 'tis on the way, will arrive before the end of the week.

In the mean time I decided to rip a 12" single that I picked up over the weekend.. Not exactly disco, but one of those many Larry Levan mixes from the '80s that I hadn't heard yet. Taken from Smokey Robinson's "Essar" (1984, Motown) LP, both this song and the LP it was from were not among Smokey's more successful efforts. In fact the "Essar" LP (what the hell is "Essar" supposed to mean, anyway? edit: apparently it's his initials 'S.R.' in word form.. Thanks to the anonymous commenter..) was one of his lowest charting LPs up until that time. Regardless of the commercial aspect, it's certainly one of the most interesting records I've heard from him..

Produced by frequent collaborator Reginald "Sonny" Burke, the remixes on both sides were credited to Larry Levan and Benny Medina. The mostly instrumental Dub mix on side B though is, in my opinion, classic Larry. It almost reminds me of some of the mixes he did for Gwen Guthrie around this time.. Stripped down to the basic synth track and guitar licks; reduced Smokey's vocals to the occasional melancholy wail wallowing in the layers of echoing synthesized rhythms. As opposed to the vocal extended mix on side A, the dub mix really brings out the dark side of the song. In other words, you really believe it when you hear him sing "..and I don't love you." No reason why, no explanations, it coolly and simply makes the point. Quite the contrast to side A where, listening to the full lyrics, you really aren't supposed to believe what he says..

Also an interesting fact, the Benny Medina credited on the mix is in fact the same Benny Medina that has managed Jennifer Lopez and currently Mariah Carey. Medina had his start at Motown, originally as the lead vocalist in the short-lived group Apollo, along with one of Berry Gordy's sons among others.. Apollo's only album was also produced by Berry's ex-wife Raynoma Singleton, no less..

P.S. Sorry for the scratchy rip.. I really need to invest in a good record cleaner sometime..

LINKS:
SMOKEY ROBINSON - ESSAR LP REVIEW @ ALL MUSIC GUIDE
SMOKEY ROBINSON - ESSAR LP REVIEW @ WILSON & ALROY'S RECORD REVIEWS
SMOKEY ROBINSON ALBUM REVIEWS @ ROBERTCHRISTGAU.COM
SMOKEY ROBINSON - AND I DON'T LOVE YOU 12" @ DISCOGS


CATEGORIES: MINI DELIVERIES

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Essar = SR (as in Smokey Robinson). Say it out loud. lol

Tommy said...

lol.. Thanks! :) That makes sense, I can't believe I didn't catch that..

Anonymous said...

hey this is great, the dub I mean - I love Levan's dubs, his Hopscotch dub of Gwen Guthrie is incredible. Have you heard his sweet version of Close to You for Gwen too? Another good one.
I mistakenly bought a 12" today thinking it had a Levan track on it - Imagination maxi single of burning up Dub, but it's Changes that Levan mixed for them.

An obscurity I have never been able to track down is Nile Rogers remixed by Larry in 1983 ish - 2 tracks from oen of Nile's solo LPs. I saw it once on Ebay but neglected it, it's never resurfaced again for me. Can't imagine it is good but certainly intriguing.

Anonymous said...

oh above comment by hugh wrang (i left a comment before when you began this EXCELLENT blog)

hugh

Anonymous said...

Luke = hugh btw :) (i posted on the norma jean entry ages ago)

Tommy said...

Thanks for the comment! I remember you now :)

Yeah I love Larry's dubs too. I have the Hopscotch dub (I believe anyway, it's called the 'Levan Remix Instrumental' on my file) on mp3, which, I agree, is great.. I have the rest of the Padlock EP on mp3 as well, love that collection! Unfortunately I haven't heard his mix of Gwen's "Close To You" yet, but I do have a 12'' of "Standing In The Rain" from her '88 LP, which I believe has a Levan mix, but it's pretty scratched up unfortunately :(

I'd love to hear the mix he did for Nile.. I'll have to keep a look out for that one..

Anyway thanks again for the kind words :)

Tommy

Search this blog